Google Translation: The limestone is a so Gipshut and is located in the western part of the town of Lüneburg. To 1371, a castle of the Principality of Brunswick-Lüneburg was on the limestone mountain. In Lüneburg War of Succession the sovereign castle was destroyed along with the nearby Benedictine monastery of St. Michael. The latter moved to point out to the city. An obelisk reminds halfway up the mountain to the Garrison Church of the ducal troops from 1663 which was demolished in 1783 due to disrepair. The cannon on the plateau recently, she was fired when convicts have escaped from the nearby prison. The largest part of Kalkbergs mined several centuries and the gypsum used as a building material. In 1923, the mine due to depletion of the gypsum deposit was terminated. Today, the limestone has only a height of 56.3 m above sea level. Originally there were about 80 m. 1932 brought the then Lüneburg architect Edward Schlöbcke that the remaining balance of the Kalkbergs one of the first nature reserves in Germany was. Former quarry can be seen only on the steep cliffs. At the foot of Kalkbergs there is a small wetland with reed beds and wetland zones. The rock walls have only a very sparse vegetation with plants and animals. Covering an area of 3.6 hectares settled in the course of time, to 180 species of flowering plants, including some heat-and light-and lime-loving species that are actually native only in southern Central Europe. Some smaller caves are inhabited by bats.